Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Rucky Chucky 50K - Race Reports

Here are others who were there and have wonderful posts about their adventure.

Peter Lubbers: http://runlaketahoe.blogspot.com/

Mark Tanaka: http://ultrailnaka.blogspot.com/

Catherine: http://sierratrailrunner.blogspot.com/

Scott Dunlap: http://runtrails.blogspot.com/index.html

Tony Overbay: http://tonyoverbay.blogspot.com/

I'm too tired to even post my report here :). But here's mine:

With a 2 hour drive up to Foresthill, CA, my day began at 3:30am. Oli and I got to the start to confirm registration, pickup bibs, and goody bags. The problem is that Oli didn't register for the event and he was surprised to find that they did have race day registration, even though it was clearly stated online that there would be no race day registration. The only thing is that he didn't have enough money to register; price had gone up from $65 to $85. Not entirely worth it, given that there would be no aid for the first 14 miles. But as a training run, it would be good. I have to be honest when I say that I don't agree with banditing a race, but I had to admire Oli's drive and tenacity to do the race with NO reliance on aid stations. He did, however, ask for a guzzle of my drink on the way back and from a few other runners on the course...still that just amazes me and he did significantly better than me! Awesome.
The course for the Rucky Chucky 50K, at least on paper, is that the first 15.5 miles is downhill with the return 15.5 miles uphill. In reality, there was a significant amount of downhill for the first section, but there were some nasty climbs intermittent along it as well. This remains conversely true for the return section. Total elevation change is 5,000 feet. We were reminded this morning that there would be NO aid for 14 miles!! An email was sent last week, but our disappointment was confirmed. No one complained, you just come prepared. Others like me had two water bottles, some had three. This isn't the Chicago Marathon...people don't complain and demand their money back; you deal with it in a constructive manner. If it isn't your day, perhaps it will be another time.
The reason why I love doing ultras is that it's a tight knit fabric of the running community. Much of the ultrarunners that are recreational and pros alike do a lot of ultras in CA during the year that it's nearly impossible to not know who they are. The pros are extremely likewise approachable and friendly; there's no asshole attitude here. What I do notice is that they are older; perhaps a midlife crisis. But seriously, I got passed by a 16 year old to a 60+ year old so age is not a factor in doing well. What many of these runners lack in speed, they greatly make up with loads of endurance. It's another kind of toughness that I admire. These folks remind me why I run--it's exciting! It's also more fun when you can talk about your epic runs with others and no one thinks you're an idiot. Discussions are not limited to the many endorphin highs and lows during your run, where you ran out of water, and what happened when you became delirious. Lots of them have done 100 miles with the intention of getting ready for the Western States 100 mile between Squaw Valley and Auburn, CA, which is the granddaddy of all ultra races in the world!
We started at 8am sharp with the lead pack breaking away gradually. The pros are just inclined and used to running at their comfortable pace. I was in that pack! I knew it wouldn't last, but to be in the same group as Mark Tanaka (eventual winner of today's race), Beverly Anderson-Abbs (BABS), and Scott Dunlap (you really ought to check out his blog--it's awesome!) is really cool! We would run the first 2 miles of the descent together. I had to remind myself that this would only be a training run, results and times are thrown out the window. This is NOT a goal race! The first half mile went through the quaint town of Foresthill, its streets and residential neighborhood. Then you crossed a two lane road and into the trails! To have people ahead of you and behind you, you're trapped on a narrow singletrack; you can't stop now! Luckily, after letting the lead go ahead, they missed a sharp left turn on a descent! I saw them turn around just in time to reintegrate with them. The descent was gnarly with Easter egg shaped rocks causing havoc to your stride (more Easter references coming up!). It's tough to focus on the trail 5 meters ahead of you when you have the river that you'd have to run alongside DOWN there! But you don't want to die either! I knew I had to slow down and let them go. I wasn't going to compromise my safety in the beginning of the race. Around mile 5, I began to walk some bits. But for the most part I was pleased to reach the turnaround in ~2hr:20min. Norm and Helen Klein of ultra fame even manned an aid station! I was a bit embarrassed, however, when the drink they offer was called Heed. I asked the 80+ year old Norm if he "could give me Head" instead of what's called Heed; I'm glad no one noticed how bad this sounded except for me after leaving the aid station rather quick. The way back was going to kill me, I know that for sure! The scenery was picturesque for the ENTIRE way; it makes suffering that much worth it, seriously! You're running in a lush forest overlooking the side to see the other end of trees divided by a riverbank, glistened by the sun overhead.
I got passed by tons of people, but I was just enjoying the view. I was also convincing myself of trying to not get dehydrated either.
The way back took me 4 hours! The climbs, the 66 degree heat, and lack of aid stations took a toll on my sanity. I also had not run anything long since Napa Marathon nor had I done many quality long trail runs. Still, it would be a death march for most if not all of the folks returning to the finish. Even some pros were concerned even though they brought 2-3 bottles with them; it simply wasn't enough! But it gives a lot of face time and talking to those straggling with you on the trail. Two women provided great pacing for some miles to quickly pass the time. They're great. And another guy was kind enough to sterilize my bottle after refilling water from waterfall flowing into a creek. I was skeptical of the sterilize UV pen (http://www.survivalschool.com/products/Water_Filters/SteriPen_Adventurer.htm) used to filter the water; but I was near death, and in dire need of liquid. I am ever thankful for him.
On the way back, I fell twice. The first time was scary because it was in slow motion. I fell but I saw myself going forward with my hands landing on the soft dirt; the fall must have felt like 30 seconds for it to happen from start to finish. I came out unscathed but embarrassed as two runners saw me. The second time, I was on a descent and since it was sketchy I was preventing myself from going all out. It was also on a banked surface so my calves were flexed in a certain way and I cramped up for a second. That second was all it took to toss me into the dirt again. But again, I was lucky to come out of it with no bruises, just road (trail) rash that cyclists get on their thigh/buttock. Jesus fell three times holding the cross; all it takes is another fall to remind me of Easter Sunday. I just didn't want to be crucified at this race!
The last 3 miles of the run took almost an hour as mere mortals are forced to walk the steep section before the finish. But I made it, and to my calculation I PR'ed on yet another tough 50K course in 6:32. I was hoping to do it it sub 6, given the condition. It just wasn't realistic at all today. In 2006, I did Ohlone 50K in 6:36; that was equally hard if not one of the harder 50Ks like this one in the area.
The lunch afterward was somber, but I got to chat with Scott who I'll see again at the Eugene Marathon and Mark who I'll see at Ohlone. Peter Lubbers will make his attempt at the 100 mile speed record on the Tahoe Rim Trail in August. Oh yeah, I also won a bottle of some alcoholic ale beverage; too bad, I don't drink!

Pictures of the race and Foresthill: http://www.daveharper.com/photos/WS100/index.htm

1 comment:

Peter Lubbers said...

Hi Adrian,
It was nice to meet you at Rucky Chucky. Good job on toughing it out. Thanks for linking to my blog as well. I'll have to check out your Adidas Urban Runs the next time I am down in the Bay Area for work (Do you work at that store?).
Just a minor clarification, the Tahoe Rim Trail is 165 miles long and the current record is 45:58, held by Tim Twietmeyer (see the interview with Tim here: http://runlaketahoe.blogspot.com/2007/12/interview-with-tahoe-rim-trail-speed.html). There is also a Tahoe Rim Trail 100 (and 50M and 50K) mile race, but the record attempt is a basically solo run, with friends pacing.
Take care,
Peter